Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Draft 2 Essay Amhis

The Difference Presenting the Concepts and Issues of Discrimination Blacks in the Context of the Concept of Independence in the American National Philosophy by Martin Luther King and Frederick Douglass

After I read “I have a dream” by Martin Luther King, I, maybe we realize that there is something wrong about “free” in America at that time. The date of 4th of July 1776 seem like no value for the black people. In this essay, I will discuss about the difference presenting the concepts and issues of discrimination blacks in the context of the concept of independence in the American national philosophy by Martin Luther King and Frederick Douglass. I see that between both of them showed different ways to express their feeling about Black People. First, I will talk about the difference from way of their speaking. The second, I will discuss about these from their ideology or social condition.
The second, what does their social conditions can affect to their writings or speaking? After I read their biography, I found some interesting story between them. King was born on January 15, 1929, in Atlanta, Georgia. King became a Baptist minister and civil-rights activist. I found in the website1 that King had some bad things in his life. Perhaps, everybody have two sides in their life. King’s family was African-American Baptist church. FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover had long been suspicious about potential influence of Communists in social movements such as labor unions and civil rights. Hoover directed the FBI to track King, and the SCLC, in 1957. In this condition, I think is so contrast, he became a pastor, but join communist community. If I see Douglass biography, he was different with King. Douglass was born in a slave cabin, in February, 1818, near the town of Easton, on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. He lived with difficult things. He prohibited taught reading by his mistress, because he was a slave.
I think, their backgrounds make them different in their speech about freedom for the black people. Douglass, lead his life as slave make him has an experience about that. Many Douglass’ works were about slave. If I think about these, I remember the different about Fanny Fern and Kartini. Fanny Fern became a feminist activist after she had experiences about difference between man and women’s position. In “Independence”, “Working Girls of New York” she mentioned how women were treated at that time. So that what she was fought is about what she had. In other hand, nn Emancipation (in Kartini’s word):
It was not only the voices from outside, from the civilized, reformed Europe that I had heard that made me long for changes to the present situation. Already in my childhood when the word ‘emancipation’ did not yet resonate in my ears … there awoke in me a longing that gradually became stronger and stronger: the longing for freedom and independence (Coté, 2005: 56).
Kartini did not have experiences about difference in societies like fanny Fern. She learned many things from the Batavia. In Kartini’s words:
I am burning with excitement about this new era and yes, I can say that, even though I will not experience it in the Indies, as regards my thoughts and feelings, I am not part of today’s Indies, but completely share those of my progressive white sisters in the far-off West (Coté, 2005: 23).
Kartini’s condition was same with King’s. They did not have experiences, but they lead “Freedom” and many people now regarded they were hero for “Free”.
What I found anything else is King plagiarized the “I Have a Dream” speech from one given at the Republican Convention in 1952 given by Archibald J. Carey, Jr., an African-American lawyer, judge, alderman, diplomat and clergyman from the south side of Chicago.



Work Cities

King, Martin Luther. 1963. I have a Dream.
Douglass, Frederick. 1852. What to the Slave is Fourth of July?

No comments:

Post a Comment